When we search for a List of art supplies for beginners the question arises what is an art supply?
We can say that “all those tools, equipment or things that are utilized by an artist to make an artwork or art piece are collectively called an art supply”.
In some instances, a craftsman finds influence by gathering drawing supplies like scrap and creating a masterpiece.
Keep reading to find out the the best List of Art Supplies for Beginners!
Check out these amazing art projects 👇
- Daycare Art Projects
- Preschool Art Projects
- Kindergarten Art Projects
- 1st Grade Art Projects
- 2nd Grade Art Projects
- 3rd Grade Art Projects
- 4th Grade Art Projects
- 5th Grade Art Projects
- 6th Grade Art Projects
- 7th Grade Art Projects
- Ice Cream Art Project
- Fun Craft Projects for Kids
What is a List of Art Supplies for Beginners?
For beginners, a list of art supplies typically includes graphite pencils of various hardness, erasers, sketchbooks or drawing paper, a set of basic colors of acrylic or watercolor paints, a set of paintbrushes in different sizes, and a palette for mixing colors.
Additionally, having a pencil sharpener, a ruler, and a blending stump or tortillon can be helpful.
These art supplies provide a solid foundation for beginners to explore different techniques and develop their artistic skills.
Best List of Art Supplies for Beginners
If you are a beginner and do not know where to start making artwork or If you have made up your mind to be an artist.
Here are the Fifteen most important List of Art Supplies for Beginners materials that you should have at your art place.
The tools and art media that you will require at the beginner level are;
1. Sketch Book
- I will suggest a sketchbook for beginners as these books help them to draw and learn to make different patterns.
- They can easily erase them and can practice different shapes.
- These sketchbooks are not expensive and easy to carry.
- Students can also hold them and take them wherever they want to draw.
- Rulers are an essential tool for any art teacher. They can be used to measure, draw straight lines, or create a grid pattern.
- There are so many different types of rulers you can use in the classroom!
- Rulers are one of the most important tools in every art room;
- They’re great for measuring and drawing perfectly straight lines which is something that everyone should learn how to do as early as possible!
Not all rulers are created equal, however, which is why I’m writing this blog post it’s going to cover all of my favorite kinds of rulers (and there are quite a few!).
List of Different Types of Rulers for School
There are many different types of rulers that have been used throughout history and complete our List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
Some of the most common rulers include the following:
- Standard Ruler: This ruler is usually made of plastic or wood and is used to measure straight lines.
- Protractors: Which are used to measure angles. Triangles: Can also be used to measure angles.
- Compasses: These are used to draw circles or arcs.
- Line Ruler: This type of ruler is simply a straight line that is used to measure distance or length.
- Yardstick: This type of ruler is usually one yard in length and is used for measuring larger distances.
- Foldable Ruler: This type of ruler is made up of two or more sections that can be folded up for easy storage.
- Tape Measure: This type of ruler is made of flexible tape that can be extended to measure longer distances.
- If you’re an art teacher, it’s likely that scissors are your best friend.
- They get used all the time in the classroom and for paper arts at home.
- Scissors can be so much more than just a pair of shears; they can also be a tool for creative expression!
- Art teachers often have to use tape in their classrooms.
- Whether it’s because they’re taping up a poster.
- Taping up an art project, or taping the edges of the paper together to make a book.
- Teachers know the tape is an important part of any art teacher’s toolkit.
- Tape is a great material for art projects.
- It sticks to just about anything and can be used in so many artistic ways.
There is nothing like the feeling of a brand new set of pens to add to the List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- Whether you are an artist or not, there is something about the smoothness and precision.
- That makes writing with a nice pen even more enjoyable than using one that has already been used for some time.
- Artists especially love to use fresh-out-of-the box pens because they allow for more precise drawings and sketches.
- Pens can come in different colors, shapes, sizes, and brands which allows artists to express themselves through their work.
Choosing what types of pens will give them the best results. With so many options available on Amazon it can be difficult to pick just one!
Searching Amazon for art supplies is easier than ever with all their user-friendly filters so don’t wait another minute.
6. Art Pencils
Artists are using pencils from centuries ago to make artwork. So it is the most important tool that the beginners should include in their List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- There are different types of Prismacolor pencils that are available in the market to increase your drawing skills.
- If you are a beginner and don’t know exactly which type of pencil you should use for practice drawing
- Then here I am going to explain the type of pencil used in artwork.
There are five type of pencils that are used by an artist to create a sketch or drawing, these are;
Lead pencil is somehow harder than graphite and charcoal pencils, there are two types of lead pencils that are available in the market depending upon their hardness.
- H and B where H means hard and B means black combination of both is utilized in making one pencil.
- Depending on H and B characteristics there are 18 types of lead pencils available in the market.
- As a beginner, you should use a 2b medium pencil that has both hard and dark characteristics.
This is the second type of pencil that artists include in their art supply list.
- Graphite pencils are less dusty and are shinier, lighter and used to make shades or shadows.
- Graphite is made up of carbon base and is more reflective than the other pencil used to give a more matt look in drawing and sketching.
- In my opinion, beginners should use graphite pencils as these give a smoother look to the sketch or the painting.
- Charcoal pencils also have a carbon base but these are darker than graphite pencils.
- Charcoal gives some dusty and nonmetallic look to the sketch. It gives a blacker and darker finish.
- Now there are a lot of different charcoal pencils available in the market.
- Watercolor Pencils are a great addition to any artist’s toolbox.
- They’re easy and fun to use, and they can be used for a variety of projects.
- Watercolor pencils are a great way to add color to your drawings.
- Color pencils are the most important supply that should be a part of the art supply list.
- These varieties of colors give your drawing a charming texture and it looks pleasant to the eyes.
- Colored pencils are of two types that are easily available in market wax based pencils and oil-based pencils.
- If you’re a beginner you should have wax-based color pencils in your art supply list as these are easy to erase.
- Artists nowadays use a variety of mechanical pencils to make sharp lines.
- These pencils are very fine and are more uniform and delicate as they are easy to hold and give a more finished look.
- These are used to make fine lines and beautiful sketches as they are easy to hold.
Erasers are used to clean a wrong line or a pattern on paper or a canvas.
There are three type of erasers from the List of Art Supplies for Beginners that can you choose from according to the pencil, colors, and the paints you are going to use in an artwork;
- These are also called plastic erasers. For beginners this Vinyl Eraser is best as it erases neatly and completely leaving no residue behind.
- It clears the surface as there is no line drawn on it.
- There are a number of different shapes and different color erasers available in the market.
- These silca erasers are best for erasing colored pencils, these erasers can even erase ballpoints or even some types of markers.
- These erasers have latex and silica bases that make them more powerful against colors.
- These are like chewing gum and are widely used by artists to erase graphite, charcoal, and colored pencils.
- Kneaded eraser help to blend color and give a soft look to the artwork. They are easy to use and leave no residue behind.
- Kneaded erasers are mostly liked by artists as they can mold these erasers in any shape and size according to their artwork needs.
8. Pencil Sharpeners
There are two types of pencil sharpeners that are widely used by artists and they have to work with lots of different pencils so they need a good sharpener in their List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
There are two types of sharpeners that are easily available at stationery shops, an electric pencil sharpener, and a manual pencil sharpener.
For beginners, I will suggest a manual sharpener in the art supply list as they can sharpen pencils easily.
Electric Pencil Sharpeners
- Electric pencil sharpeners provide a more consistent and predictable sharpening than manual methods.
- They help you achieve an even point for writing, drawing, or any crafts that require precision edges with less mess and effort!
Manual Pencil Sharpener
- Do you remember the days when pencils were just for writing? The manual sharpener is a throwback to my favorite childhood pastime.
- Manual pencil sharpeners are one of the oldest ways to sharpen a pencil, but they still have their place in classrooms today because they are inexpensive and don’t require electricity.
Paint is the most important element of an art supply list as artwork looks incomplete without paint and selection of paint is very difficult as there is an enormous variety of paint available in the market.
Creating a paint palette is a great idea for a List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- Acrylics are basically used at a smooth surface and they dry quickly and give a more finished look on canvas or a paper.
- There are a variety of acrylic paints available in the market; they come in tube and in bottle packaging.
- Oil paints are a type of paint that was originally used for creating portrait paintings.
- Unlike traditional watercolor, oil does not require thinning because it’s already formulated with drying properties to produce vibrant colors on its own without mists or tubes.
Water Soluble Paints
- Most artists choose water-soluble paints as they take time to dry and can be workable even after a day.
- Secondly, these paints possessed a strong color pigment and different shades of the same color can be easily attained when diluted with water.
Wax Based Paints
- Wax Based Paints are non toxic and durable paints that can be used on wooden base, paper and a canvas.
- They dry easily and after applying heat is used to make the work more pleasant and durable, for this purpose heat guns or hair dryers can be used .
- If you are a beginner and don’t know which watercolor is good for painting I will suggest Watercolor Paint tube colors as they are more convenient to handle and use.
- Palette colors are available as a readymade color scheme and sometimes many useless colors are available in them, while you can choose your own color of tube.
- After selecting water color the important thing is mixing it to get a good result on canvas.
- For more dazzling, shiny and complex artwork professional artists use a variety of different glitter paints.
- The best art supplies are available in a variety of different colors.
- They are available in spray as well that most artists use when making an art wall, glitter paints give a more glamorous look to the artwork.
If you are a beginner and don’t have much information about what kind of canvas is used for your List of Art Supplies for Beginners?
Canvas is a more durable surface than paper. They are made of linen or a cotton fabric.
There are four types of canvas available in the market: stretched canvas, canvas pads, canvas rolls, canvas panels.
- The stretched canvas is a popular material for art and posters.
- This versatile surface can be easily found in galleries, museums as well as on your wall at home!
- The Stretched Canvas has become quite prominent over recent years because its durability makes them perfect items that will withstand time which means you could potentially own one piece from different eras depending how old they were made.
- A canvas pad is a rich material designed to be placed under your drawing board or paper, usually used for rough sketches.
- Canvas pads are an ideal way to leave your mark at school, home or any other place you want.
- You can write on them with dry erase markers and wipe clean easily.
- Pads come in many different types depending on the type of work you are doing and how big an area needs covered.
- One of the most popular forms for displaying large posters, canvas rolls will provide you with a long-term solution.
- They’re made out of durable material that holds up well in different environments and still looks great even after years on display!
- Canvas rolls are made of cotton or linen, and they’re durable because the fabric will not stretch out.
- The pigments used in this type of painting make it easy to create vibrant colors.
- Canvas panels are sheets of canvas-textured, rigid cloth.
- If you’re looking for a lightweight alternative to drywall, canvas panels may be the way forward.
11. Drawing Pad
Drawing pads are a flat and durable surface that can be used for drawing, painting or writing. It’s made up of cloth covered paper with an adhesive back to keep it from moving when you draw on top – so there won’t be any smudging!
Drawing pads come in many sizes and is a underrated material for our List of Art Supplies for Beginners;
12. Drawing Paper
Drawing paper is used for artistic purposes. A drawing on paper can be a simple or complex project.
There are many different types of papers that you could use for your drawings List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
Such as colored drafting sheets and artist sketchbooks with grids in them to help keep things organized when working out what will go where!
Drawing paper is used for drawing all kinds of things.
- Art teachers are always looking for new ways to introduce their students to the perfect item on the List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- One way that can create a unique experience for your class is by using recycled paper.
- This type of paper is made from old newspapers, magazines, and other types of paper scraps.
- The possibilities with recycled paper are endless because there is no limit on the materials you can use!
- It’s easy to make it fun for everyone in your classroom if they each contribute something different to recycle into the project.
- Colored paper is a type of material that can be colored using dyes and pigments.
- It’s used to create many different art forms because it has such an infinite range color possibilities.
- But not all types will work for every medium or project due its specific needs inks.
- Techniques by artist preference which makes them perfect either as drawing surfaces like charcoal pencils on sketching pens;
- Painting with acrylics oils pastels markers etc.;
- Watercolor paper is a fundamental tool for an artist and a great List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- It has the ability to absorb water and pigment in order to create beautiful images that can be displayed in galleries, homes, and anywhere else you please.
- Watercolor Paper is a type of paper that can be used for watercolors.
- It has a smooth surface and is not textured like regular printer or copy paper, which makes it easier to paint on.
13. Paint Brushes
Paint brushes are a basic fun tool of art and without which nothing can be made.
There are numerous different types and sizes of paint brushes available in the art store for your List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
I will suggest choosing one that can hold paint for more time and have smooth fibers to give a more smooth and finish look.
If you are going to make acrylic painting for the first time then there are three types of paint brushes that can be used: round, flat and filbert.
- These brushes have a round shape and are used for making patterns like petals of flowers.
- What is a round brush? This is a question many people ask when they are new to painting.
- A round brush is one of the most common types of brushes used in oil and acrylic paintings.
- They have bristles that are circular in shape, hence the name “round” brush!
- These paint brushes have flat, smooth surfaces and are used to make straight lines and edges in a drawing.
- Flat brushes are great when it comes to blending colors together and creating texture on your artwork.
- So what’s so special about these types of brushes? T
- hey have short bristles that provide more control than other types of brush such as filbert or round brush.
- Their bristles don’t flare out at the end like some others may do which means that they can create precise lines or strokes depending on how you hold them or use them.
- Flat brushes come in a variety of sizes and shapes including fan, angle, round point and sable point rounds.
- These brushes are in between round and flat as they have both.
- Filbert brushes are mostly used to blend the colors on canvas and give more smooth painting.
- For beginners all three brushes should be recommended in an art supply list.
Palettes is the most important recommendation in a List of Art Supplies for Beginners.
- As this is the surface where an artist uses to mix colors and blend them to create a new color tone.
- They are made of wood, plastic and ceramic and are available in a variety of different shapes.
- For beginners I would suggest a wooden palette in a shape that they can easily hold.